I recently saw this article, and thought my readers may find it interesting. Popular culture generally depicts the French woman as the epitome of chic, and the following article has some great ideas on how to release the inner french girl in all of us as we journey on our paths to being Chic Mummies. For a more in-depth look at ways to bring some French chicness into your life, then check out the wonderful book, Entre Nous: A Woman’s Guide to Bringing Out Her Inner French Girl by Debra Ollivier.
Let Out Your Inner French Woman And Stand Out From The Crowd!
How often have you asked yourself what the style secrets are behind the effortless chic of French women? From elegant fragrances, amazing clothes, classic chic styles, lean silhouettes (even with the cheese, wine and chocolate), perceived natural beauty, you can’t help but ask yourself how they do it!
By Marion Chamberlain
Copyright (c) 2007 MMC Lifestyles, LLC, dba MMC Style
How often have you asked yourself what the style secrets are behind the effortless chic of French women? From elegant fragrances, amazing clothes, classic chic styles, lean silhouettes (even with the cheese, wine and chocolate), perceived natural beauty, you can’t help but ask yourself how they do it! Believe it or not – it’s easy when you know how. And, yes, I daresay we all have an “Inner French Woman” who is dying to spring to the surface, like a flower’s blossom gently unfolds.
In America, as women, we’ve become “victim” to a self-punishing, depriving and self-sabotaging nature. A lot of times, we’ve given up on ourselves to fully serve others and putting our needs aside. We’re inspired by fear and self-loathing. So, in order to fill the void, the style of American women tends to revolve around the “more is more, new is best” idea. Our approach to fashion, food and fitness subscribes to this dictum, which is the absolute opposite of French style.
Here are the secrets of French women you can use to help you stand out from the crowd:
- French women intimately know their body and which styles look good on them. They do not beat themselves up for perceived flaws, but know how to creatively put emphasis on their assets. French women have more personality when it comes to their style – they own their look. So, it’s key to establish a unique look that works for you.
- French women buy a handful of good quality, neutral-colored staples that they can mix and match with each other for maximum wear. They do not “collect” clothing. Clothing is an investment and is meant for a return on their investment. They also know when to purge an item.
- French women know the power of accessories. They cherish four to five high-end fashion accessories (costume jewelry and scarves) that they wear all the time. They might add one or two new trendy pieces each season and wear them out. They also invest in high quality everyday leather handbags and shoes, keeping their return on investment in mind.
- French women become friends with a great hair stylist who is skilled at working with their hair type. They get a fuss-free hairstyle and maintain it with great conditioners.
- French women treat their skin as the treasure it is. Get a facial every month or just give yourself a weekly facial. Maintain, protect and nourish your skin daily. If you have great skin, you radiate and barely need any make-up.
- French women use make-up as an aid to emphasize their beautiful features, not hide them under layers and layers of coating. The principle applied is: less is more. Your basics include: tinted moisturizer with SPF, a light powder, blush, a great mascara and a lipstick or lip gloss.
- French women know only too well that you are what you eat, which is why they follow a diet that is rich in seasonal produce, red meat and oily fish – all of which help to keep a figure trim and hair, nails and skin in tip-top condition. To further boost their skin’s radiance, French women will also drink plenty of water and, for general well-being, eat a little of what they fancy – including chocolate and a glass of red wine. They relish in the pleasure of small indulgences and do not beat themselves up, like American women. Everything in moderation and smaller portions.
- French women believe in getting their exercise throughout the day, by walking and biking. The important message here is to not become obsessed about your fitness activities, but pursue them with pleasure. If you hate the stair climber or even going to the gym, find something that gives you enjoyment and not dread. And again, don’t beat yourself up if you’re not keeping up with all your colleagues latest fitness center stories. It’s time to be unique and do what is fun for you! Follow the French on a balanced and time-tested approach to life.
Keeping the above secrets in mind, you are now ready to let out your inner French woman and stand out from the crowd. Unlock the world of sensory delights to discover yourself and assert your femininity!
Marion Chamberlain is founder of MMC Style (http://www.mmcstyle.com/ ), an Internet store for European fashion accessories sourced from unique and highly-talented small design shops in Europe. The online store offers high-quality European fashion jewelry and leather handbags to those women who want to be unique. MMC Style (http://www.mmcstyle.com/ ) European fashion accessories are truly unique and can’t be found in department or chain stores.