Hopefully your received a lovely bunch of flowers for Mother’s Day today, and to celebrate this miracle, you want to make them last as long as possible.
- As soon as possible, place your flowers in a vase of warm water that is three quarters full, as flowers drink up warm water easier than cold.
- Use the little packet of flower food that hopefully came with your bouquet. Didn’t get one? Add a capful of bleach and a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar.
- Remove any leaves that will sit below the water line to prevent them from rotting. Trim off about 2 cms of the stem, and cut them on an angle so the stems have a larger surface area to suck up nutrients.
- Keep your flowers away from direct sunlight and heat sources. In summer time, keep them away from any aircon vents.
- Change the water every 2 to 3 days, making sure to add more flower food.