For those of us here in Australia, school is about to go back after the long summer break. For me, that means that Stephen is starting kindy for the first time. I can’t believe that day has arrived already! Kindy is only 2 half days a week, but Stephen will need to take lunch and morning tea. I saw this recipe somewhere recently, and adapted to suit the no nuts policy the kindy has, as well as Stephen’s taste. I removed the walnuts, and replaced it with sunflower seeds, pepitas and sesame seeds. This mix trail mix is ultra yummy, full of protein and good oils from the nuts, and lots of antioxidants from the popcorn.
Yummy Trail Mix
8 cups freshly air popped popcorn
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch baking soda
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (Craisins)
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- Toast the seeds in a ungreased skillet on medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160C (300F).
- Mix the popcorn and the toasted seeds in a large, well-oiled bowl.
- Combine maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Let it boil for 4 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and add the baking soda, stirring until the mixture is creamy. Pour over the popcorn and stir well.
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until it is dry to the touch.
- Let it cool for about 20 minutes, then stir in the dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.