Snacking has become a way of life for many of us, and having young children can often mean that Chic Mummies tend to snack throughout the day as they pick a bit here, take a bit there, and grab something mid morning because they ran out of time to have breakfast. Snacking can be one of the greatest diet saboteurs around. However, if done right, snacking can provide valuable nutrients, and actually help us on our weight loss/maintenance journey. The key is to have carefully planned snacks that provide healthy nutrition rather than empty calories. Here are some healthy snack options for when you are at home.
- Carrot sticks or baby carrots dipped in salsa, yoghurt, hummus or peanut/almond butter
- Banana smoothie – made with low fat yoghurt, skim milk and some ice
- Homemade trail mix – made with Cheerios, some nuts and dried fruit. Keep servings to 1/2 cup
- Peanut or almond butter – 2 tbs spread on apple slices, celery sticks or added to a banana smoothie adds a great protein hit
- Yoghurt dip – take some plain low fat yoghurt and stir in some fresh chopped herbs and some garlic. serve with veggie sticks
- Homemade no-fat veggie soup with some low fat shredded cheese
- Parker’s 97% fat free pretzels – not the best option, but great when you’re craving a salty and crunchy treat.