One of my family’s favourite desserts are fruit crumbles. My husband and the kids like them because they are warming, and sweet, and soft and crunchy, all at once. I like them because they are easy to make, and any way my kids will eat a whole bowl of fruit in one sitting is a good thing for me!
This crumble is great when you don’t have much time to prep it up, but you can let it sit in the oven for an hour.
4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1/3 cup Craisins (dried cranberries)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
1 packet (about 12) gingernut biscuits (cookies), crushed
1/3 cup quick oats
1/4 cup LSA mix (ground linseeds (flaxseeds), sunflowers and almonds – great source of omega 3 oils)
3 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 170C/375F.
- Grease a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with cooking spray or butter
- In a large bowl, toss together apples, cranberries, lemon juice, brown sugar and cornflour. Place in baking dish
- In a smaller bowl, stir together biscuit crumbs, oats and LSA mix. Mix in butter with your fingers until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over apple mixture, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes. Serve with warm vanilla custard or icecream.