I made this all-in-one Thai Curry Chicken and Coconut Rice last night and it was absolutely delicious – a real hit with the whole family. I use my own homemade Thermomix red curry paste (which I store in the freezer), but any mild red curry paste is suitable. I’ve used Valcom brand before when I run out of my own, and it is very yummy, too.
This recipe does take nearly an hour in the oven, but there is less than 10 minutes hands on time; just prep, bung it in the oven and virtually forget about it! Also, I marinate my chicken from the morning, but it still tastes great even if you don’t.
All-in-one Thai Curry Chicken and Coconut Rice
500g (1 lb) skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
2 cups long grain rice
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 cup pineapple chunks (I use fresh, but canned is fine)
2 red capsicums, chopped
1 small can (200g) baby corn bits
400 ml can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup frozen peas
- Combine chicken and curry paste in a glass bowl (or ziploc bag) and stir until well coated. Marinate in fridge if possible.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F.
- Place rice in 8 cup baking dish.
- Top with onion, pineapple and capsicum.
- Mix coconut milk and boiling water in a jug, then pour over rice and veggies.
- Spread marinated chicken in a single layer over the top. Cover with tight fitting lid or foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 45 minutes more, until chicken in cooked through and rice is tender.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with frozen peas and cover with lid (or foil) for 5 minutes until peas are warmed through.